21/12/2018

Hello there!

Welcome, welcome, welcome to another new blog in the classical mystery field. Name’s Alexander (Alex is okay), and a true fan of Golden Age-style (style, not period) detection for at least a half of my life.

I plan this blog as a way to reconnect the community I’m a part of with the world at large. The GAD movement in Russia is a small (is the term ‘cosy’?) but thriving one, with its own quirks and historical peculiarities, and it had been paining me for a while that its discussions are cut away by linguistic barrier. Thus, I decided to dare and make a blog or something similar to post notes, reviews, and thoughts, of my friends from it and from myself, hoping to inspire some new discussion led by a contact of insights.

For the reason outlined above, I’ll be far from the only author of the various content (mostly, but not limited to, reviews, notes, discussions) that I’ll be presenting here, both written specifically for the English-speaking audience and translated. Let me introduce our contributors (with more to come):

  • Your humble myself: Russian, grad student, mathematics. Do mathematical logic for a job, and loving an orthodox detective story where a solution is provided by an irrefutable chain of logic is somewhere close to it. Possess a complicated chain of pseudonyms which hold unfixably different opinions. Hold JDC and Edward D Hoch as my two unsurpassed bosses, but strongly believe that the contest has come from the Japanese school. One of those few who was specifically inspired to learn Japanese for shinhonkaku. Dabble in writing myself and hope to piblish one day.
  • ‘Roger Sheringham’: Dmitry, grad student, history. Believes a detective story to be akin to a historical investigation and also manages to connect work with hobbies. As obvious from the pseudonym, greatly respects Anthony Berkeley. Not averse to writing short stories as well.
Together, we envision something similar to the success of Kyoto Detection Club, which managed to grow from a merry band of students into a whole new generation. Hopefully, other people from the community would also join us in this blog on a later date, with their insightful articles and reviews.

Some of our posts will be adapted from ones done originally in Russian at the Impossible Crimes forum, impossible-crimes.ru/Forum/index.php, which will be always marked as such in disclaimer.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, thanks for welcoming me again and hoping for some very good discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment